Monday, January 30, 2012

Chronicle 3: The Hot Mama Outer Beauty Philosophy


Confession time, mamas. When my little man turned around 3 ½ months old, I began experiencing postpartum hair loss. I’m sure many of you have heard of or experienced the same thing, and can identify with the flood of emotions that accompany it. Oh, I’d heard of it and was prepared for it to happen, but does anything really prepare you to deal with pulling clumps of your own hair out in the shower?

Day after day, I tried and failed to style my ever thinning hair. Eventually, I began to resort to ponytails and “THE CLAW”, which I had previously vowed never to wear in public (along with banana clips, scrunchies, and butterfly clips). The final straw was a haircut that I later deemed devastating: 5 inches of my beautiful red hair, GONE. I felt shorn and bald and hideous.

Now, I don’t need a face full of makeup or a fresh from the salon blowout to feel beautiful, but I do take pride in my appearance. Whether we want to admit it or not, we live in a very visual society and there are daily opportunities that arise from taking care of ourselves. I thought that losing my hair meant I no longer had any reason to do so. My skincare regimen went downhill, quickly followed by my makeup routine, and then of course it was a matter of time before I busted out the sweats, pizza, and chocolate. What a slippery slope! And what a pity party I was throwing for myself.

It’s a bit embarrassing to admit how something that seems so trivial undid me so completely. Speaking with other hot mamas about their postpartum woes finally made me realize how fast our little ones grow and how quickly time flies. This hair loss is just a passing phase, and I will always have my son. While I am still parting (haha) with my hair, the amount lost has lessened, and I’ve got new growth. These tiny little baby hairs that are growing just as fast as my son. Hope!

I’m back on track, and feeling better than ever. You know, it cracks me up when I watch What Not to Wear. Some of the participants have this wild notion that dressing well and taking care of themselves is this time consuming process that takes away from their personality and/or intelligence. This could not be further from the truth! There’s nothing more attractive than a person who has the full package: confidence, intelligence, and an outer beauty that reflects your inner beauty.

So, what makes YOU feel beautiful on a day-to-day basis? 
Xoxo,
The Hot Mama


Please check out my Hot Mama Pinterest boards at http://pinterest.com/OneHawtMama/ !

2 comments:

  1. Kendall1/30/2012

    I think it's just the simple step if I blow dry my hair straight after I shower. If I don't my hair gets all catty-whom-pus and is why I coined the nick-name Medusa (not by choice). I know it's a hassle and takes up time to make my hair straight, but I feel a lot more confident and beautiful when it's done and I don't look like some scary mythical creature. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't! Ive seen it firsthand, and Medusa you are not! But I k ow what you mean...doing those things that make you feel good about yourself are worth the time & effort. Xoxo

      Delete

Leave a supportive comment for your fellow hot mamas & me! xo

Readers