Friday, February 17, 2012

Chronicle 9: Hot Mama's (Modified) Bucket List

For a society so scared of death and dying, we sure do have a fascination with bucket lists, or the "I'm so afraid of heights, I pee my pants in a second story house, but I want to go cliff diving before I kick it" list.  Many of those goals pertain to far out ideas, that truthfully, most people will never be able to cross off. That's part of the fun, isn't it? To have dreams and goals that make you feel brave, spontaneous, and worldly? But what about the amazing feeling of crossing something off your to-do list? Something tangible, doable, and most importantly, realistic.



I have always, always said that the only thing standing in your way is yourself. Is this belief compromised when I modify my bucket list? I suppose so. After having a baby, my priorities shifted. I can't imagine jumping out of a plane (again) when I have a little life waiting for me on the ground. I also can't imagine backpacking across Europe for weeks, bungee jumping, or spelunking in a cave other than Mammoth. I'm not claustrophobic, but have you SEEN those scary cave movies? Like where blind cave fish evolved into human being like creatures that can crawl up walls and ceilings? No thanks!





           ============>
             Logical jump??



I was able to accomplish several things on my pre-baby bucket list, but I am so excited to expand it to include my son. Here is the official Hot Mama (Modified) Bucket List:

1. Earn a Bachelor's Degree
2. Get married
3. Have children
4. Own a home
5. Travel overseas
6. Visit all 50 states
7. Go sky diving
8. Have a teaching career
9. Write a book
10. Get that book published!
11. Learn how to fly a plane
12. Buy a motorcycle
13. Be comfortable with my body (Yes, even post baby! This does not include occasional PMS tantrums when "nothing fits")
14. Change someone's life for the better
15. Learn how to forgive, even when I can't forget (Work in progress)
16. Teach my children how to be compassionate people
17. Teach my child independence
18. Watch my children graduate from kindergarten,  high school & college
19. Be a mother in law that my son is proud of (We will see...)
20. Sell the house and travel the country RV style with the hubs once we are empty nesters
21. Earn a Master's and/or Doctorate degree

Of course, as my life evolves, so will my bucket list. I hope to keep adding to it as I cross items off. Mommyhood is adventurous enough, for now. It presents an entirely new sets of challenges. It shows me what I'm made of. I wouldn't miss a thing.


So, mamas, tell me. What's on your bucket list? What are some of your favorite cross-offs? What things do you need a little shot of courage to complete? Be sure to leave a comment below!

Xoxo,
The Hot Mama

Check out the Hot Mama on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/thehotmamachronicles and Pinterest  http://pinterest.com/OneHawtMama/ !!

2 comments:

  1. Kendall2/17/2012

    Well, I'm not a momma and I don't know that being one is on my bucket list but.... here are a few on my list!! :)

    - Win a Grammy
    - Own my own beachfront home in Malibu
    - Open a second chance shelter for all animals who would otherwise be put down from other shelters
    - Travel the world
    - Publish my books
    - Finally write the screen play that's been in my head
    - Host SNL
    - Write a song that changes the world
    - Hug Ellen DeGeneres
    - See the end of fur used in fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendall, thanks for sharing your list! I may have to modify mine again... ;)

      Delete

Leave a supportive comment for your fellow hot mamas & me! xo

Readers