Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chronicle 14: Redesigning Woman

This olllld house... what charm, what character! What a money pit! When I first moved in with my husband,  he was rocking the epitome of a bachelor pad. We're talking a floor with a circular stain from where someone had the genius idea to just plop a keg right down on the carpet. We're talking nail holes in the wall that had turned into gouges the size of my head. Kitten posters, Scotch tape on the doors, Smurf wall hangings crafted out of yarn (A joke, I think...and hope), and a mash up of old college furniture. Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me.



It's four years later and we are still slowly turning this house into our home. Don't get me wrong, we've come a long way. Miles, in fact. A new coat of paint is so refreshing. It's such a face lift that I wish we could re-paint every year. I suppose it's easy to say that since I didn't get to participate in that endeavor this time around. I was 9 months pregnant and laid up on the couch. 

I was pregnant and feeling wild. I've always loved yellow and grey together, so I chose a vibrant gold and my husband chose a beautiful complimentary grey for our accent wall. The one major problem: all our furniture is dark and heavy, and our decor consisted of natural hues and had a more traditional vibe. Solution: complete overhaul! Ick, no...don't...make me. Shopping?! Helll no. Well, ok if you insist! 


So, that was SIX months ago. The day my family came to help paint is the day my doctor decided that I needed to be induced. Now that we have baby paraphernalia strewn all over the living room, I feel as if my living room has multiple personalities. It's like Sybil, if Sybil were a living room (Poor thing, she probably thought she was at one point.)

Call it latent nesting, or pre Spring Cleaning syndrome, but I have gone nuts with decorating and organizing these past few days. My son has recently undergone sleep training, so now I can go to sleep at a decent time. Perhaps my energy has returned?! I refuse to get my hopes up!

So, after a trip to Target I acquired a few things to prod the transition along. Here is my Living Room Lookbook:







Remember, the gold is very prominent, so I chose a lot of grey accents. I love the orangey red pop of color that I have on the couch. I plan to find another pillow or two in either gray or gold, or even teal/aqua/turquoise/whatever the kids are calling it these days. I've been lusting over a chevron rug for ages. Not any one rug in particular. But I do love these:




Eventually, I want to swap out some of our furniture for something a bit more modern. Nothing too crazy, but I do love clean lines and lighter/brighter colors. I love the fact that I can find whatever I want online. There are some great deals out there. And if all else fails... IKEA!

So, what do you think mamas? Any suggestions on what accents to add and places to shop? I would absolutely love to hear your input!

Xoxo,
The Hot Mama

3 comments:

  1. I was hoping for pictures of your living room! :) We must be cut from the same mold, because I am OBSESSED with all things gray and yellow. Our nursery will be gray and yellow...hopefully I don't get sick of the color combo for a loooong time.
    I was at Target last night and they have the best home decor items out. I had to walk through that area really fast because I was tempted to put one of everything in my cart. So glad you're getting the sleep you need! I'm sure that is an amazing feeling. It sounds like Gray is doing really well with the sleep training. Big pats on the back for you and Matt! I will be needing your secrets probably this time next year, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely put pictures up, thanks for the suggestion! It's such a cheery and sophisticated color comb, I'm sure it will stick around for a long time! I love that it can be paired with so many different accent colors. As far as sleep training, I'll tell you every thing I know! The best tip ever is to start teaching them healthy sleep habits early on. That way you don't have to break the old ones and endure all the tears! Xoxo

      Delete
    2. Laura mayer3/02/2012

      Looks fun, Jen :) glad you're enjoying it. I know our husbands don't always understand but great when they let us use our home as our creative expressive outlet!
      love ya!
      Laura :)

      <><

      Delete

Leave a supportive comment for your fellow hot mamas & me! xo

Readers