Monday, February 13, 2012

Chronicle 8: The Power of Love

Did anyone else just sing "The pa pa powa of looove!" from Back to the Future? Anyone? Just me? Mmkayyy. I think I've been watching too much HBO during naptime. And the song has been stuck in my head for about 24 hours now. Not that I mind... it's a pretty bitchin' song, yeah?



So, things have been crazy in our house lately. I was in the process of contemplating my next big life decision. Do I resume applying for jobs, continue to be a stay at home mom, or do what my sister in law calls "our generation's way of avoiding reality" and apply to grad school? It's serious, and scary, and affects more than just me. (Did you catch the "WAS in the process of"?)

My husband works for a wonderful company. They are usually mindful of their employees' family situations, and make a great effort to show their appreciation for the many hours lost to mindless number crunching and travel. We've been taking the overtime and trips in stride, up until... now. We just learned last week that he will be working out of state for an extended period of time. And by extended, I mean close to half a year. Yeah, you read that right. I've been thrust into single parenthood for about half a year.

 
This clip really doesn't have much to do with anything...I just love this movie, and the classic line: "Don't call me Shirley!".

Now, before you accuse the Hot Mama of complaining, take a moment to assess what YOUR initial  reaction would be. Even if you are not a mama, being away from your family or significant other for an extended period of time just SUCKS. Add in a young baby who changes by the day, and still needs 'round the clock care. Being a mom is a 24/7 job, but with my man in another state, I won't have the luxury of any time to myself.



Honestly, my first thought was "What will be the state of our relationship at the end of this?" I'll save the gory details for another post, but the fact of the matter is your relationship with your partner changes dramatically after baby. You play different roles, your expectations for each other are different, standards are higher than ever. It's a wonderful, stressful journey and an absent spouse doesn't make it any easier. Add into that my constant tendency to worry.

I worry about the craziest things: Hubby being subjected to airport food, germs, hotel rooms, taxi cab drivers, hot lady co-workers, mean bosses, absolutely crazy work hours, him fitting into our schedule at home on the weekends, sex, laundry, but most of all...communication. A phone call a night that covers what we did and what we plan to do tomorrow, but never really covering the important things. Who wants to enter a deep discussion/argument/cry fest over the phone? Not I! Not he...



So. All I know for certain is this: My husband is fortunate to even have a job, let alone such an amazing job. He is able to support all of us, and works endless hours to do so. And for that, I can and will suck it up. I'll be taking it day by day, and so will he. That, my hot mamas, is the power of love.

What obstacles have you overcome with your partner? Be sure to leave an encouraging comment below!

Xoxo,
The Hot Mama

Check out the Hot Mama on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/thehotmamachronicles and Pinterest  http://pinterest.com/OneHawtMama/ !!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/14/2012

    Hey Hot Mama!! Sorry to hear about the life change that is coming your way, but you have so much to be thankful for! You can be at home with the little man and that is important especially if Matt will be gone. As far as all the other "life things" it seems as if it all has a way of working out and falling in place. There will always be trials and tribulations, but hold fast to what brought you two together and it will be fine. You are a strong lady who I admire... you will look back one day and think I can't believe I did that and you will be even stronger because of it. Lots of Love! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, thank you for such a supportive and positive note. You make such a good point when you say it will work out the way it is meant to. We are so lucky to have each other, and, as they say... Absence makes the heart grow fonder!! Miss n' love you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a supportive comment for your fellow hot mamas & me! xo

Readers